Mainspring Press LLC is soliciting offers for purchase of the copyright and exclusive worldwide production, publication, and sales rights to the late Brian Rust’s Jazz and Ragtime Records, 1897–1942 (6th Edition), which includes the author’s contractual grant of exclusive rights to produce, publish, and sell any and all revised editions of this work.
This offer presents an outstanding opportunity for the purchaser to revise and remake this important work in any way they see fit, with excellent profit potential as no other party may legally produce or sell revised editions of Jazz and Ragtime Records or its contents.
Scope of the Offering — The following are included in this sale. Items preceded by an asterisk (*) were contractually assigned to Mainspring Press by Brian Rust per our Publishing Agreement of December 23, 2001, which was agreed to and accepted by Mr. Rust on January 8, 2002, and which currently remains in effect:
- *Exclusive copyright in the work (contractually assigned to Mainspring Press)
- *Exclusive worldwide publication and production rights to the work in any form (print, digital, or other).
- *Exclusive worldwide sales and marketing rights to the work in any form.
- *Exclusive rights to edit or otherwise alter or revise the work in any form.
- *Exclusive worldwide rights to produce, publish, market, and sell, in any form, all subsequent editions of the work, employing editors, authors, and contributors of the purchaser’s choosing, without the need for consultation with or permission from the Rust Estate.
- Original book-production files in PageMaker 7 format (exportable to InDesign, Word, Acrobat, etc.)
- Original CD-production files in Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Pro (exportable to Word, other versions of Acrobat and Reader, etc.)
This offering does not include the physical books (which are out-of-stock) or CDs (which are currently produced only on-demand). Upon completion of the sale and final clearance of payment, Mainspring Press will formally relinquish all claims to the work and will immediately discontinue all production, marketing, and sales of the work.
Obligations to the Rust Estate — Per our Publishing Agreement of December 23, 2001, the purchaser will be obligated to the Rust Estate for the following:
- Quarterly royalty payments to the Estate of 15% (print editions) or 30% (CD/digital editions) on net sales of the work, including sales of subsequent editions. (Note that the Executor, who resides in the UK, will accept payment via PayPal if desired.)
- In the event only of publication of a new revised edition: A $6,000 advance (loan) against royalties to the Estate payable, in three equal increments. (Note that in the case of the 6th Edition, the publisher fully recouped the advance within three months of publication.) No advance is required for continued publication of the 6th Edition.
Exclusive Agreement —Mainspring Press LLC certifies that it holds the sole legal right to dispose of the copyright, intellectual property rights, publications rights, and all other rights, obligations, and materials related to this work, per its Publishing Agreement with Brian Rust of December 23, 2001. Mainspring Press further certifies: (1) That no publication or production rights, intellectual-property rights, or copyrights in this work have ever been granted to any other party; (2) That Mainspring Press’ previous sales-partnership agreement with Malcolm Shaw, which conveyed only shared sales rights in the work, and no other rights of any kind, was nullified by mutual agreement in 2003 and is fully vacated; and (3) That there are no other agreements or encumbrances of any kind in effect in regard to this work.
Inquiries and Offers — Serious inquiries and preliminary non-binding offers or proposals should be submitted in writing (no phone calls, e-mail, or texts) before December 1, 2015, to the address below. Please note that the complete contents of the Publishing Agreement and related documentation will be disclosed only to parties who, in our estimation, possess the intent, ability, and necessary resources to negotiate in good faith.
Mainspring Press LLC
Re: Rights Administration
PO Box 631277
Littleton, CO 80163-4421